Partners: Florida A&M University, Tallahassee, FL; Norfolk State University, Norfolk, VA; Bowie State University, Bowie, Alabama A&M University, Normal, AL; Johnson C. Smith University, Charlotte, NC; Morehouse College, Atlanta, GA
In alignment with the South Big Data Innovation Hub program’s goals of promoting collaboration and supporting the cross-pollination of tools, data, and ideas across disciplines and sectors, an HBCU Data Science Consortium (HBCU-DSC) is being proposed. This Consortium seeks to provide an accessible and beneficial platform within the HBCU community that will promote collaboration and support the “cross-pollination” of data analysis tools, data, and ideas across the HBCU community, which is overwhelmingly located in the southern region.
This goal will be accomplished by the following structured 3-tiered approach:
- Inaugural HBCU Data Science Workshop (Virtual)
- Monthly Virtual HBCU focused Data Science Working Groups
- Closing HBCU Data Science “Celebration”
- To build a network of HBCU researchers focused on development of resources, collaborations and initiatives centered around data science
- To increase possibility of securing funding and research awards in data science by HBCU Consortium members